To Blog or Not to Blog… How Will it Affect my Business?
I often have the privilege of sitting with a business owner as they ponder whether a business blog would be good for their company. You can see the argument play out in their minds, it obviously isn’t something they had to consider and the argument always seems to focused around two recurring questions.
- Is it worth the investment?
- Does a blog make sense for what we do?
To answer the first question you must know what the total investment involves.
- Money – Blogging is not inexpensive! Yes, I know you can get a blog running for free depending on what you use… but what about the Opportunity cost of using your time to blog? You may want to invest in a business blogging platform. This takes me to the next bullet point.
- Time – Blogs take research, planning, and wise execution. Not to mention getting all the technical bits set up (many hours) and then the ongoing maintenance (more hours and cost). this, on top of everything else you have to do in your business! Exploring the idea of using a blog in your business will call for a whole new set of skills. Search engine optimization, inbound traffic best practices, blogging best practices, blog marketing, blog management…you get the point.
Now issue number 2, “Does a blog make sense for what we do?”, I always answer this with another question. “Is communication vital to the growth and success of you business?” If you answered yes, then a blog could be a game-changing tool for your business.
- Business Blogging Success Summit 2011 by Social Media Examiner and Blog World
- How to run a business blog with minimal time
- Is your Business Blog a Cost Center or a Revenue Generator? Maybe that’s your problem
- Is your blog believable?
- Are business blogs with high bounce rates good or bad?