15 Nudge Marketing Tactics | SEO Meets User Experience Part Three
Welcome to Part III of the blog mini-series about Nudge Marketing with content from the Rand Fishkin presentation from NMX in Las Vegas. If you missed parts I and II, I encourage you to read those first and then come back to this blog post.
To recap very quickly, Rand Fishkin from SEOMoz talked about a new kind of marketing when you slowly and consistently nudge your prospects and customers to take small actionable steps that benefit them and you. In the digital marketing space, this can take on many different appearances depending on what kind of business you have and who your customers are.
So keep reading for Nudge Marketing Tactics 11 – 15.
11. Nudge over time. [Do not ask your prospects for lots of information or provide a lot of options in your website calls to action. Instead, give them small bits to complete, step by step. Use multiple shorter requests for action over time. The probability the user will take the desired action decreases with the number of simultaneous requests being made. The opposite is also true - the desired action increases, the fewer things you ask at one time]
12. Use Minimal Design. [This is especially important with you are trying to get your user to take a desired action. Too much bling can distract them from the Call to Action (CTA), which is what you want them to focus on. Use a simple design with a single target. Make the CTA clear and simple.]
13. Promote competition among buyers. [Think about an auction – the auctioneer wants to spur competition between bidders. This is a major reason in-person auctions are so successful. In the digital world, think about leader-boards. Also, a college boosted their college attendance rates by 50% by just making students fill out one college app.
14. Use Gamfication. [Gamification is the process of using game-like components in your marketing. Games and the resulting behavior can create powerful marketing nudge if done properly. Offer an “earned reward” to valuable prospects or those using a freemium or paid version. For example, if a user is on your freemium version but uses the software frequently, tell them they have “earned” 2 free months of the paid version that has increased functionality. It may be enough to make them take the leap. You can also offer non-cash incentive rewards such as badges which can be displayed, or points that can be won or earned for future rewards. Be sure, however, to tell the user they have EARNED the reward. Do not just give it to them as a present or gift. People like to earn things – it provides a sense of accomplishment.]
15. Repetition & Modeling. [Share your stuff, then share it again… then share it again. In the Digital Marketing world, your prospects, fans and followers are only on those social networks for certain periods of time and even when they are there, chances are, they are not watching closely. Take Twitter for example. At best, only 5-6% of your twitter followers are online at any give time. Most of those won’t notice your tweet anyway. Share posts 3-4 times and use multiple platforms. Be aware that it is highly likely you will have one or two followers who see all your repetitive posts and they may even angrily call you out for it. When that happens, don’t apologize and scale back to single shares. That person (or persons) likely represents less than 1% of your total network. Don’t let that one person disrupt your strategy to reach the other 99% of your network. Be sure you are smart about it, though. I remember seeing a colleague with a social media company shotgun blast her posts through multiple twitter accounts all at the same time using Hootsuite or Tweetdeck. For those of us who followed multiple accounts, it looked really spammy and unprofessional. Share your content at different time across multiple days and change up the language in your shares with each send. Don’t be lazy about it.
I hope this series on Nudge Marketing has been helpful. A special thanks to Rand Fishkin for coming to NMX and doing this presentation. If you would like to see Rand’s presentation, he provided embed code for it on Slideshare and you can flip through it below:
- 15 Nudge Marketing Tactics | SEO Meets User Experience Part Two
- 15 Nudge Marketing Tactics | SEO Meets User Experience Part One